What is a combi boiler?
A combination or ‘combi’ boiler is both a high efficiency water heater and a central heating boiler in a single compact unit. Combi boilers heat water directly from the mains when you turn on a tap, so you won’t need a hot water storage cylinder or a cold water storage tank in the roof space.
They are also very cost-effective and energy-efficient as water is heated instantly rather than being heated and then stored in a cylinder. An added benefit is that hot water is delivered at mains pressure, which means that you could get a powerful shower without the need for a separate pump.
Combi boiler features
- Compact sizes make combi boilers perfect for smaller properties
- Ideal where there is little or no loft space
- No need for a hot water cylinder allows increased living space
- No cold water storage tank frees up a loft for conversion
- No risk of loft pipework freezing
- Less pipework in the home makes installation typically cheaper
- Combi-boilers can be paired with a vast array of control options. You can even control your central heating from your phone or tablet for that extra style and convenience.
Is a combi boiler right for my home?
If your home has fewer bathrooms with less demand for hot water at any one time, this type of boiler could be your perfect match. It creates extra living space and provides hot water on-demand.
However, whilst a combi boiler is the most popular type of boiler installation in UK homes, it’s not always the best option.
If you have a large family with more demand for hot water, a combi boiler might not be for you. A regular boiler or system boiler could provide hot water more efficiently and also ensure that you have good water pressure, even when several taps are being used at the same time.